Why a mission?

The gospel is the most beautiful thing in the world. I know it's all true, and this knowledge has given me all the wonderful things of this life. I can't wait to share this knowledge with others.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Hey everybody!

It's hard to believe how fast the time has going. I've already been here 12 days. It's pretty fantastic being here. The Spirit is SO STRONG, and there are so many people and resources to help you become the missionary you choose to become.

My district is pretty great. We've got some pretty quirky, elders. We've got one who does crazy yoga moves between breaks, one who offers very helpful insight quite a lot, some funny quiet ones, and everything else in between. Most of them are funny 19 year olds, but with the Lord's help they all are going to make fantastic missionaries. 

Hermana Ellingson leaves for the Guatemala MTC on the 10th or so. The very same day my dear sister Hermana Lovell is off to the Madrid Spain MTC! It's been so fun to run into each other. It's always like a little piece of home when we can laugh about stuff together like we did when it was just us two at our parents' house. I'm going to miss her, that silly wonderful hermana... :)

My parents are offically in Argentina. Yeah. Argentina. They're serving as mission presidents there. It was so fun to see them so much last week! The best thing is, though, is I have a strong testimony of WHY they're going. I don't know if I mentioned it last time, but we got to sing Praise to the Man on the day of the martyrdom of Joseph Smith. As the choir was warming up, Elder Nelson came in out of no where. We just turned around and there he was. He told of how Elder Ballard, the great grandson of Hyrum Smith, had spoken that morning and testified that Joseph was a real and true prophet of God. As we sang Praise to the Man, I felt such conviction of our purpose as missionaries. Sure, we're giving up time as a family together, but the gospel is bigger than that. Joseph Smith gave up his whole life for this work because he knew it was worth it. I am privledged to give up some of my time for that same great cause. 

Photo from LDS Church News

I ran into some teachers here that are twin girls, both from Guatemala, the day my parents left. They are so kind, funny, and compassionate. When I told them how a lot of my family were serving missions, she immediately gave me this scripture: Alma 17:13. Look it up, fam! It describes us perfectly. It's beautiful.

Let's see.....I'm increasing my game in four square. Hermana Lovell and I got called up during the missionary conference yesterday to get newspapers with our family on the front page, along with having that picture on the giant project on the gym. That was different :) I'm learning more and more that the gift of tongues is SO real. I love Spanish. I'm learning more and more each day how to turn my heart to the Savior and about the doctrine of Christ. Did you know that teaching the gospel is not as complex as you would think? All you need to do to teach others (and to teach yourself) is to focus on the doctrine of Christ: La fe in Jesucristo y su expiacion, el arrepentimiento, el bautismo, la recepcion del don del espiritu santu, y al preserverar hasta el fin. It's really just like the articles of faith! I know that "as we choose to follow Christ, we choose to change."

I know that this work is real, true, and incredibly beautiful. I know that we'll never be perfect, but the happiest way we can lives our lives is to take up our crosses daily, and follow the example of our Brother, Jesus Christ. I know also that life is meant to be enjoyed fully, and that through the gospel we can recieve the purest and strongest love, hope, and peace in our hearts than by any other way.

I love you guys so much! Keep the faith! Stay strong! :)

Hermana Lovell

No comments:

Post a Comment